Name change Affidavit of Major – Name changes for minors and majors are slightly different. Changing the name of a major can be done by the individual himself, while changing the name of a minor needs to be done by their parents and some additional documents must be submitted. In this article we are going to share the details of Name change Affidavit of Major.
Many people change their names because of a genuine problem, while others want to adopt the lifestyle of today. There are many legitimate reasons for changing a name, and some are just as bizarre as you can imagine.
What Is The Name Change Affidavit Of Major?
Affidavits of major are documents that verify a person’s legality under proper authority. These documents serve as legal confirmation that an adult has changed their name for a variety of reasons and will now be called by their new name.
Documents Needed For Name Change Affidavit Of Major
- ID proof will be required of the applicant and any legal document can be used like a driver’s license, AADHAR card, etc.
- Address proof will also be required and the above-mentioned documents can be used for address verification.
- An application form will be required that has the details of your old name, new name, and the reason behind your name change.
Common formatting mistakes to avoid while drafting name change affidavit of major
- The applicant should always double-check the information they are submitting. Every document should be double-checked and there shouldn’t be any spelling mistakes.
- The affidavit should be completely attested. If the affidavit is not attested then your affidavit for name change might be rejected.
- The applicant should always mention the date and the place where they have taken the affidavit.
These are all the important things that should be mentioned by the applicant to get your affidavit approved by the legal authority.
Read More:- How To Change Name Legally In Gurgaon
Components Of Name Change Affidavit Of Major
Some components cannot be ignored while applying for an affidavit for a name change. The below content has to be followed by everyone.
- The name, age, and address of the parents or guardians should be properly mentioned.
- If the person is married then the name of their spouse is mandatory.
- The correct name of the major, their address, and their age without any mistakes should be mentioned.
- The reason for the name change of minor should be declared with the declaration of their old and new name.
- The affidavit for name change should be the authority and the person.
- At last, the date when the affidavit has been created should be properly mentioned.
Step-By-Step Guide For Affidavit Of Name Change
Drafting an affidavit is not an easy process, it might be a bit more complicated than it is shown. Here is the step-by-step explanation of drafting an affidavit.
- Drafting- The first step the applicant has to do is visit the nearest notary office and get a form in which you have to fill in all the mentioned details. The details would be the address of the applicant, their full and new name, age, reason for name change of major, etc. Applicants can also draft the affidavit online by visiting the official site of the government of name change and print out the affidavit from there.
- Printing- After the affidavit is drafted and all the details have been filled you have to print it on stamp paper to show its legal validity which will charge you only Rs. 10 or 20.
- Signature- After the above two steps the person should sign the affidavit in front of a public representative and after the notary office will put a stamp and sign it.
- Publication- After the affidavit is ready you have to publish about your change of name to newspapers and publish two articles in two different newspapers about your affidavit for change of name. Then after this, you have to announce your change of name in the Official Gazette of India and submit an affidavit application. After this step, your name will be legally changed.
Writing An Affidavit For Name Change
The following details are important to keep in mind while writing a name change affidavit of major.
- The applicant has to mention their old name and new name correctly without any spelling mistakes.
- The address mentioned in the affidavit should match with your other documents.
- A passport size will be needed
- As mentioned above the affidavit has to be printed on stamp paper and it is to be signed by two witnesses.
- The affidavit should be signed by the two Gazette-ranked officers and has to be notarized by the notary office.
- The applicant should have a copy of the affidavit for future reference.
Name Change Affidavit Format
To make the procedure of affidavit for name change easier here is the example for affidavit.
I, ___ (full name) son/daughter of ___ (father’s full name), age around ___ years, residing at ____ (full address) here confirm the above statements:
- As per the record, my name is ___
- I have changed my name to ___ on ___ (date when you have drafted the affidavit)
- All the legal documents have my new name ___
- A public notice is delivered to the newspapers.
- I confirm that my old name __ and new name ___ are of the same person that is myself.
- Please consider my application for the name change.
I confirm that everything that is stated above is in my knowledge.
(mention the full date)
(Signature of the applicant)
Verified on ___ (full date) that the contents of the affidavit are correct and nothing has been forged.
What Law Says About Affidavit Of Name Change?
The law on affidavit in India is governed by Section 139, of the Supreme Court Rules. Law says that an affidavit is a sworn statement that a person attests in front of a court of law and mentions that the content in the affidavit is true to their knowledge. The government says if a person has to change their name then forming an affidavit is the major role as because of this document only the government will get to know about changes done by people. It is the first and the most important step while changing your name legally.
When Do You Need An Affidavit For One-And-The-Same Person?
An Affidavit for One-and-the same person is a legal document of a person who has different names but all of them belong to the same person. This affidavit helps to confirm that the person has various identities because they have different names in different documents.
If a person goes to obtain their driver’s license and the bank says that their name doesn’t match with their documents like their bank name is different and the names on the identity documents are different this ‘One-and-the Same person’ affidavit helps to clear up the confusion and acts as legal verification that the person having different identities are the same person.
The one-and-the-same-person affidavit is needed there are some mistakes in your educational document, and when a woman gets married or divorced then this affidavit really helps, and it also helps people who want to use different names in their professional and personal lives.
Forming an affidavit is a task for everyone and one should be utterly focussed and attentive while forming an affidavit because if it is rejected then you have to go through the whole process which is tiring and time-consuming, so ensure that if have attest the affidavit at once.
Read Also:- Name Change Agent In Bangalore
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Can more than two names be included in the affidavit?
Yes, you can put multiple names in the affidavit by providing the reasons for different names.
Q. What are the different types of name change affidavit of major?
There are different types of affidavits for different situation like one person many name affidavits, name change affidavits, name change after marriage affidavits, and name change of minors affidavits.
Q. When to use name change affidavit of major
There are many reasons why people require a name change affidavit. Some of them are marriage, change in religion, due to astrological or numerological reasons, etc.
Q. Can we change name for minors?
Yes, you can change the name of minors. The procedure is the same just one difference is that their parents have to attest their affidavit and do the entire process.
Q. Can we change our name online?
Yes, if you want to make changes to your name online you should visit the official website and adhere to the steps given on the website.