Correction in Education Document in India: Your educational certificate must be amended according to a procedure in India. Name changes on educational certificates are the same as legal name changes in India. If your name or surname is misspelt or spelt incorrectly on your education records, here we are sharing the procedure to make correction in Education document in India.
Reasons for Name Change on Educational Certificate
There could be various reasons why people might need to change their names on educational certificates. Some of the reasons are as follows:–
- Person’s dissatisfaction with the name
- An incorrect name on official records
- Spelling errors
- Gender change
- Child Adoption
- Astrology reasons
- Numerology reasons
- Religion change
- Due to marriage or remarriage
- Due to divorce
Required Documents for Changing Name on Educational Certificate
Changing one’s name on the educational certificate or Correction in Education Document in India is a legal procedure and requires the following documents for the seamless completion of the process:–
- An id proof, such as a passport, Aadhar card, PAN card, driving license, or ration card.
- Aadhar card, ration card, or electricity bill for address proof.
- A few passport-size photos.
- An appropriately signed application form filled with all the details about the old and new name, contact details, name change reason, and a correspondence address.
- In case the change of name is due to adoption, the applicant needs an adoption deed issued by the court.
Procedure Followed for Name Change on Educational Certificate in India
The procedure for the Correction in Education Document in India includes the following steps:–
- Affidavit Preparation
- Newspaper Publication for Name Change
- Getting Gazette Notification
- Informing your education institute
Making an affidavit outlining your new name, old name, the reason for changing the name, and any other pertinent information is the first step of this procedure. You can do this with the help of a local notary, lawyer, or yourself. This affidavit is your official declaration to change your name in the education certificate in India. Depending on your state’s rules, you can draft the affidavit on plain paper or utilize stamp paper.
Newspaper Publication for Name Change
After the affidavit has been certified, you must publish an ad regarding the name change in at least two regional newspapers. The regional language of your state should be used for one of the publications, while English should be used for the other. Your previous name, new name, the cause for the change, and any other pertinent information should all be included in the name change notification.
This ad is important to formally announce the name change and provide proof of the change. Thus, you must keep copies of this ad publication for further use.
Getting Gazette Notification
The next step to change your name is to publish it in the official gazette of the state after it has been announced in the newspaper. You must apply for the gazette notification by filling in the deed for the name change form at the gazette office. You will have to provide supporting documents such as the notarized affidavit, newspaper clippings, and identification documentation with the name change application with the gazette application.
After examining the paperwork, the authorities will publish the name change announcement in the Official Gazette if everything is in order.
This is one of the most crucial steps in the name change procedure. The Department of Commerce and the Transport secretary will verify your documents.
You will have to share the following documents with these government officials:–
- One copy of the name change affidavit
- Name-changing deed form
- One copy of your present identity (it can include an Aadhar card, PAN card, passport, or voter ID.)
- Minimum two copies of your name change ad published in those two newspapers.
- Most importantly, a formal letter to the secretary requesting the official to accept your application for Correction in Education Document in India.
As soon as you get the name change approval from the secretary, submit this to the local gazette office or at https://egazette.gov.in. They will publish this name change approval in the newspaper, so you will have to pay a publication fee here.
Informing your education institute
After the official and legal, Correction in Education Document in India, you should let the educational institution you now attend or want to join know that you have officially changed your name. Going to the college’s administrative office in person is a good idea. They will update your educational certificate with the new name once you provide them with the necessary documentation to prove your name change.
Important Points To Know for Correction in Education Documents in India
There are a few crucial considerations to bear in mind when you wish to alter your name on your academic credentials:
- If you are enrolled in a school or institution, they can assist you with changing your name on the certificates.
- However, if your studies are already complete, you will require a number of papers to alter your name.
- You must complete a name change certification form and provide all the listed supporting documentation.
- Some acceptable papers include Divorce decrees, marriage certificates, court-issued certificates, social security cards, passports, and state identity cards or driver’s licenses.
- Most educational institutions recommend that students present their paperwork in person or by registered mail.
You must have officially changed your name in court or within the relevant jurisdiction if you want a new diploma with your new name on it. The name change procedure may begin after you’ve prepared the name change request form and all the required paperwork.
The procedure for Correction in an Education Document in India can be complicated, especially if you have no knowledge of how everything is carried out. So, to avoid mistakes and get your name change done in a hassle-free way, take help from a legal expert.
- How to Publish Name Change ads in newspapers in India?
- How to Change Your Name in Share Certificate Chandigarh?
- How To Change Name On Physical Share Certificates In India?
- Change Of Name Ads In Delhi Newspaper
- Best passport agent in India
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can I change the name on my educational certificates?
Yes, you can change your name on your educational certificates. But you have to follow a legal process. You need to make an affidavit, publish newspaper ads, get a name change published in the official gazette, and complete the verification.
How to change my name in school records in India?
The process for name change in school records in India includes five steps. It begins with affidavit submission, publishing newspaper ads, gazette notification, and verification, and ends with the approval of the secretory.
How do I correct my father’s name on my degree certificate?
Making a correction in your father’s name on your degree certificate is similar to the name change process. You have to make an affidavit for the father’s name change, a publication in two newspapers, publish the name change in the official gazette of India and send the necessary documents to the Department of Publication of Name Change.
Can I change my name on the 10th certificate?
You can change your name on the class 10th certificate by following a process. You need to fill out an application form to correct your name on your certificate and attach some documents. These documents include the school admission form, school leaving certificate, and other relevant documents.
What if my name is wrong in my degree?
If your name is incorrect on your degree certificate, you can address this at your college’s main administration office. You may need to meet the registrar for further name correction process.
What is an affidavit for a name change?
An affidavit is a legal application form that includes the applicant’s new and old name and the reason for the change. It should be attested by a notary or magistrate and signed by 2 witnesses.
What documents are required for a name change in CBSE?
Documents required for the name change in CBSE are a copy of the admission form, admission and withdrawal register, and school leaving certificate.