Changing your name in Aadhaar Card in India or Process of Name Change in Aadhaar Card In India can seem like a daunting task, but it doesn’t have to be. Through the Gazette Process in India, you can change your name legally and update your Aadhaar card accordingly in India. If you looking to change your name in Aadhaar due to any reason in India? Then look no further than the Gazette Process! This alternative option to the regular Aadhaar Enrollment Center visit involves publishing a legal declaration of your name change in the official Gazette of India. By following the steps below, you can successfully change your name in Aadhaar and update it with your new identity in India.
Understanding the Gazette Process for Name Change in Aadhaar Card In India
The Gazette is a government publication containing legal notices, notifications, and other official information in India. By submitting a name change declaration through the Gazette Process, you can legally Name Change in Aadhaar Card In India and update it in your Aadhaar card in India.
What is Aadhaar in India?
Before Name Change in Aadhaar In India, lets understand what is AAdhaar in India. Aadhaar is a voluntary 12-digit unique identification number for Indian citizens and resident foreign nationals who spent more than 182 days in 12 months immediately preceding the date of application.
The Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MEIT) collects, maintains, and shares Aadhaar data.
Aadhaar is not a proof of citizenship and is not mandatory. It was introduced to ease and ensure targeted delivery of benefits to the citizens of India and to maintain a transparent and integrated database including biometric data about the citizens of India.
Aadhaar has become a part of life for Indians.
Aadhaar is the world’s most extensive biometric ID system and sophisticated ID program.
Aadhaar is essential in various spheres of life like
- Getting a Sim card or phone number
- Getting Pan card
- Opening an account in the bank
- Essential to get all the government benefits like Financial benefits of ₹6000/year for Farmers, LPG gas subsidy, MGNREGA, and so on.
- Getting a Licence and Vehicle registration
- Stock investment and demat account opening
- Admission to educational institutions like schools, colleges, and training institutes
- Land and property registration
- Proof of residence
- Linked with electoral roll
- Essential to update various government documents
- Biometric data in Aadhaar has enormous functions like fingerprint authentication in Fair price shops, getting Sim cards, etc.
- Digi locker
Aadhaar was rolled out in India in 2009. Collecting data from more than 121 crore people is a tedious process, and the many illiterates in India make it more difficult. This leads to numerous spelling errors on aadhaar cards. The most common error in an aadhaar card is in Name, either spelling or initial.
Reasons For Name Change in Aadhaar Card in India
Some of the situations that lead to name changes in Aadhaar cards are
- Spelling error in the name that occurred during data collection in India
- Due to marriage in India
- As already stated, a large and tedious process naturally has many errors in India
- Changing the last name in India
- Due to gender change in India
- Suggested by Pandit ji in India
- Some people will add their caste name as their last name. If the data collector does not add the caste name, he/she will add the caste name during the name change process in India.
- Some people add their parents’ or husbands’ names as their last names. They will add the title during the name change process.
- Some data collectors add either caste or father’s name as last names. But they like to change it and add the Initial alone.
- Changing the entire name for various reasons like Horoscope & numerology, changing their gender, and so on in India.
- Women will change their names after marriage. Either they add their husband’s name or their first letter as their last name in India.
- Divorce and various personal reasons also lead to name changes in Aadhaar Crad in India.
Documents Required For Name Change in Aadhaar Card in India
- A registered mobile number is essential to get OTP from India
- PAN card / Passport/ Driving license/ Voter ID – Proof of Identity of India
- Birth certificate/ SSLC Certificate/ Passport – Proof of Date Of Birth of India
- Bank passbook or statement/ Ration card/ Insurance policy/ Nativity certificate- Proof of Address of India
- Marriage certificate / Ration card / Pension card – Proof of Relationship of India
Some Tips to Smoothen the Process of Document Verification in India
- Take original documents to the Aadhaar enrollment center in a separate file in India.
- Take photocopies of documents in a separate file
- Take Original Aadhaar card, PAN card, and Electoral ID of India.
- Check the list of documents given at the end of the article of India.
Documents Required for Gazette Publication for Name Change in Aadhaar in India:
- Newspaper advertisement or notification in which a name change is announced.
- Two witnesses, along with their full names, addresses, and phone numbers
- A soft copy of the application in Microsoft Word format.
- It is a document in which the applicant certifies that the contents of both the soft copy and the hard copy are the same. It is essential that the applicant signs the certificate.
- A passport-size photo that has been self-attested.
- Identification cards (such as Aadhaar cards, passports, voter identification cards, PAN cards, and licenses)
- Fees payment
Steps to Name Change in Aadhaar Card Through the Gazette Process in India
Here are the steps to change your name in Aadhaar through the Gazette Process:
To completely name change in Aadhaar card in India, one should initially change his/her name through the official Gazette notification method and update the name on the Aadhaar card using the name change deed.
Process of name change through the gazette notification method.
Create an affidavit from India
An affidavit is a legal document prepared by oneself stating the old name, new name, and other appropriate information in India. It is more like a self-attested document containing the details mentioned by the individual and signed/verified by appropriate authorities in the India.
An affidavit is prepared on stamp paper of such value as prescribed by the state government of India.
The stamp paper should be suggested and notarized by the local notary in India.
The affidavit should contain,
- Old name
- New name
- Reason for changing the name
- The current address of the applicant
In the case of women changing names after marriage in India.
- Father’s name
- Husband’s name
- The current address of the applicant
- Marriage date
This affidavit should be signed by two witnesses and by a gazetted officer as prescribed by the state government of India.
This document should be preserved for further legal process.
2. Publish a notification in Newspaper in India & official Government Gazette of India
The Indian gazette is an official document of the Indian government that contains official notification of the government.
He/she should publish the name change notification in the India state government or Central gazette in the prescribed format in India.
It is important that the notification contains the old name, the new name, and a brief explanation of the change.
Moreover, the name change notification is published in at least one local newspaper and one national newspaper of India. There should be one notification in English and one in the local language of the state.
One should have a scanned copy of the released notification.
This copy is essential for further process in India.
The notification or advertisement will include these things in India.
- Old name
- New name,
- Full residential address
- Name of the place of the witnessing authority
- Date of the affidavit.
In the case of a government employee should release the notification according to the regulations framed by Home Ministry.
Non-residential Indians or Indians staying in foreign should submit the documents to the Indian embassy.
3 Gather the Necessary Documents in India for Name Change in Aadhaar Card In India
To initiate the Gazette Process, prepare an affidavit mentioning your current name, desired new name, reason for the change, and other required details. Publish an advertisement about your name change in two local newspapers, obtain copies of the published ads, and print the affidavit on non-judicial stamp paper of the right value.
4 Meet the Notary or Executive Magistrate in India.
Take the affidavit and copy of the published ads to a Notary or an Executive Magistrate. They will verify and attest to the authenticity of your name change request.
5 Collect the Gazette Notification Form India.
After the attestation, take the Gazette Notification Form from the Notary or Executive Magistrate, and fill it out with accurate details.
6 Submit the Form to the Government Press for publication in India.
Finally, submit the Gazette Notification Form for publication in the Gazette of India State, wait for it to be published, and update your Aadhaar with your new name.
7. For official Gazette Notification for Name Change in Aadhaar Card In India
One has to send the application for a name change to the Department of Publication, New Delhi.
The cost may vary from 900 to 1000 rupees (approx).
Wait until the notification is published in the gazette. It may take up to a few weeks or months.
4. Submit the name change deed to the appropriate government authorities in India
After publishing in an official government gazette, one can use the name change deed to change their names in various government documents.
They should submit the deed to the government authorities to change their names.
*To be noted
The name change process varies from state to state in India.
Presently changing the name through online mode is enabled in India. One can change their name online through addhaar portal by uploading their gazette.
Note some time the online process is off in that case you have to go Aadhaar Seva Kendra in India and provide your gazette notification for name change in Aadhaar Card in India.
One should visit the Aadhaar Seva Kendra along with a name change deed to change the name on the aadhaar card.
The steps to change the name are as follows.
Process for name change in Aadhaar card in India
Any corrections in the Aadhaar cards, like name changes, address changes, biometric updates, and so on, can be done in offline centers called Aadhaar Seva Kendra.
- Visit Aadhaar Seva Kendra in India
Almost every district in India has one permanent Aadhaar data correction center. One can identify the location of Aadhaar Seva Kendra using the following website.
By clicking the link, you will be directed to the official website of UIDAI. On that website, you can locate the nearby Aadhaar enrollment centers by using State or Pincode in India.
Visit only authorized government aadhaar card centers in India because the biometric data in the Aadhaar card can be misused by fraudulent people. Moreover, the update process will be error-free in authorized centers.
- Get an aadhaar update form India.
Once you visit the Aadhaar Seva Kendra, ask the officer and get an aadhaar update form.
One can download the aadhaar update form from the following link.
Model for aadhaar update form:
Section 2.1 – Tick the option that needs to be updated. Ask the officer about the number of items that can be updated at a time.
Section 4 – Correctly fill in the name. If you are using the initial as the last name, write the initial after the first name.
Section 5 – Date of birth should be the same as on SSLC Certificate and on the Birth certificate
Verification type: Documents based
Introducer-based or head of the family are your choices if you do not have documents.
3. Complete the form and attach the required documents in India
- Write the aadhaar number correctly.
- Tick the option needed to be updated in row 2.1.
- Make sure about the number of times to be updated.
Limits for updating Aadhaar data in India
- Name – Twice in a lifetime in India
- Date of Birth – Once in a lifetime in India
- Gender – Once in a lifetime in India
- Address – No limits in India
- Keep ready all the necessary documents
- Keep the registered mobile number along with you.
- Always carry original documents because original documents are to be scanned and uploaded for updating the aadhaar card details.
- Make sure you book an early appointment to avoid a time delay.
One can book an appointment using the following link.
- Take all the necessary documents. A list of documents that can be used as proof is provided at the end of the article.
4. Biometric verification and acknowledgment receipt from India
Once you submit the completed form to the official, he/she will ask you to undergo biometric verification. In this process, they will get your photo and Fingerprint.
- Make sure you are not wearing any specs
- Be in a formal dress, like a shirt
Once biometric verification is completed, officials will start updating the information. After updating the information, he/she will scan the original documents and upload them as proof for updating the information.
Once the process is completed, an acknowledgment receipt will be printed. You should check the details and sign the receipt. Then he/she will upload the signed acknowledgment receipt.
Fees payment: Fees will vary according to the type of item you update. For name alone ₹50 will be charged.(*subject to change)
Tracking the Name Change in Aadhaar Card in India
Updating an Aadhaar card takes almost 30 days. But sometimes updates can be done within a few days. So one should check the update status regularly to avoid time delays.
The waiting process can be very stressful, so it is important to periodically check the update status to reduce the tension.
Visit the following website to check the updated status
Click on this link and enter into the website of myAadhaar in India
- Enter the enrollment number given in the acknowledgment receipt.
- Enter captcha code
- Press submit, and you will receive the status of your application.
Faq for Name Change in Aadhaar Card in India
Q: Can I change my name in Aadhaar online in India?
A: No, currently, the name change in Aadhaar cannot be done online. You need to visit the nearest Aadhaar Enrollment Center to initiate the process.
Q: Is there any fee for name change in Aadhaar India?
A: No, the UIDAI does not charge any fee for name change in Aadhaar. It is a free service. but gazette notification for name change aadhaar card and other supportable work is chargeable in India.
How many times a person can Name Change in Aadhaar in India.
Two times in life only a person can change their name.
How Many times a Person Can Address Change in Aadhaar in India.
Q: How long does it take to update the name in Aadhaar in India?
A: The name change process in Aadhaar usually takes around 10-15 working days, although the timeframe may vary depending on various factors.
Q: Do I need to provide any reason for changing my name in Aadhaar in India?
A: While it is not mandatory to provide a reason for changing your name in Aadhaar in India, it is recommended to provide valid reasons to ensure a smooth approval process.
Changing your name in Aadhaar in India through the Gazette Process provides a legal and recognized method to update your name. By following the steps outlined in this article, you can successfully change your name and ensure that it reflects accurately in your Aadhaar card in India.
Remember to prepare the necessary documents, such as the affidavit and newspaper advertisements, and visit a Notary or Executive Magistrate to attest to the name change request in India. Obtain the Gazette Notification Form and submit it along with the required documents to the Government Press for publication in the official Gazette of India. Once the name change notification is published, visit the Aadhaar Enrollment Center to update your name in Aadhaar.
Changing your name through the Gazette Process may take time in India, so it’s important to be patient throughout the process in India. Keep track of the progress by monitoring the official Gazette website or contacting the Government Press for updates from India.
Ensure that you follow all the instructions provided by the Aadhaar Enrollment Center and provide the necessary documents for updating your name in Aadhaar. This will help you maintain consistency across official records and avoid any future complications.
If you have any further questions or require assistance during the name change process in Aadhaar through the Gazette Process, it is advisable to reach out to the UIDAI helpline or visit their official website for additional guidance and support.
Remember, the Gazette Process provides a legitimate way to change your name in Aadhaar and align your official records with your new identity. You can hire yourdoorstep for assistance in the samee.