Changing your name is a significant decision in India or your are looking for Name Change in Birth Certificate in India. Whether it’s due to personal preference, marriage, or legal requirements. In India, the process for changing the name on a birth certificate involves following a specific legal procedure in India. We’ve got you covered – this article guides you through each step required to change the name in your India birth certificate, making the process smooth and hassle-free for you.
Every person in the world always strives to earn an identity for him/her. Name is also an identity of the person. Every name has a certain individuality and deep meaning. Also names carry the pride of the family. Also have importance in religious beliefs, traditions and customs.
Someone does name change in birth certificate in India or updated same when a person changes their name, or if there are errors happens in birth certificate in India due to some reason, will dicuss the reason of name change in birth certificate in India later in this article.
If you want to change name in the birth certificate, contact yourdoorstep. In India, yourdoorstep is one of the best name change consultants or agent in India .
Name is not only an identity of the person but also a part of his/her life.
According to various studies in India or world, calling a person by his/her name will increase the attraction among them. Calling a person by the name will create a positive vibe which will boost confidence and hope among them.
In India, Horoscope and numerology plays an important role in designing names for individuals.
Reason to Name Change in the Birth Certificate in India
- He/she do not like the current name
- Horoscope beliefs leads to change in name or spelling of the existing name in India
- Women will change their name after marriage in India
- Divorced wife will change the name in India
- For some religious reasons also people will change their name in India
- If a person is changing his/her religious will change their name according to the new religious customs and beliefs
- Sometimes modernization leads to create changes in name in India
If a person has caste or family name as surname, but to modern enlightenment he/she may decide to remove the surname. This leads to a change in the name.
8. Some people will change their name according to the present trend in India
Sometimes various government documents like Aadhaar card, driving license, Pan card and so on may have wrong names like wrong spelling, wrong initial or initial missing and so on. This needs to be changed.
9. Some people may change their name for their profession in India they have
- People working in the cinema industry will have their name in India.
- People who change their gender also change their name in India.
- Adoptive parents may change their child’s name in India.
Legal Process for Name Change in Birth Certificate in India
Here We discuss how to Apply for Name Change in India.
Step 1: Gather Required Documents
The initial step towards changing your name in the birth certificate in India. Is to gather the necessary documents. These typically include the original birth certificate, proof of identity (such as Aadhaar card, PAN card, or passport), address proof, and any supporting documents that justify the name change.
Step 2: Prepare an affidavit from India
An affidavit is a legal document prepared by oneself stating the old name, new name and other appropriate information. It is more like a self attested document containing the details mentioned by the individual and signed/verified by appropriate authorities in the state.
An affidavit is prepared in stamp paper of such value as prescribed by the India state government.
The stamp paper should be suggested and notarized by the local notary.
The affidavit which you made fro india should contain,
- Old Name
- New name
- Reason for changing the name
- Current address of the applicant
- In case of women changing name after marriage,
- Father’s name
- Husband’s name
- Current address of the applicant
- Marriage date
This affidavit should be signed by two witnesses and by gazetted officer as prescribed by India state government.
This document should be preserved for further legal process.
Step 3: Publish a notification in Newspaper in India & official government gazette
The India gazette is an official document of the Central government that contains official notification of the government.
He/she should publish the name change notification in the India gazette in prescribed format.
The notification should contain the old name,new name and reason for the name change. The notification should be in the official language of the government.
He/ she also publishes the name change notification in at least two local newspapers in India. The notification should be the local language of the state.
One should have the scanned copy of the released notification.
This copy is essential for further process in India.
The notification or advertisement will include these thing in India
- Old name
- New name,
- Full residential address
- Name of the place of the witnessing authority
- Date of the affidavit.
In case of government employee, should release the notification according to the regulations framed by Home Ministry
Non-residential Indians or Indians staying in foreign should submit the documents to the Indian embassy.
For a name change in birth certificate in India. The next step is to publish the change in the Official central government Gazette or respective state of India or union territory. This can be done by submitting the necessary documents, including an affidavit, newspaper clippings, and other supporting proofs, to the concerned Gazette Office in India. The issuance of a Gazette Notification is the final step that validates the change in the name and makes it officially recognized in India.
One has to send the application for name change to the Department of Publication, New Delhi. The cost may vary from 1150 to 2800 rupees (approx). Depending upon the case and same is changing time to time. For latest prices, check the government website.
Step 5: Verification and Approval For name Change in Birth Certificate in Gazette in India citizen
Upon submitting the application, the concerned authority will verify the provided documents and conduct the necessary background checks. This verification process ensures the authenticity of the name change request. Once the verification is complete, the application will be approved.
Step 6: Issuance of Updated Birth Certificate in India
After the approval, a gazette issued stating that a person belongs from India has changed their name and new name is this and old name in birth certificate was this in India, reflecting the updated name. The updated birth certificate serves as an official document, valid for all legal and administrative purposes, and should be preserved for future references in India.
Tips for a Smooth Name Change in Birth Certificate in India
While undergoing the name change process for a birth certificate in India, it is essential to keep a few tips in mind to ensure a smooth and hassle-free experience in India:
- Gather all the necessary documents beforehand in India, such as the original birth certificate, identity proof, address proof, and supporting documents for name change in India.
- Consult a legal professional in India like yourdoorstep or seek guidance from experienced individuals who have undergone the name change process to understand the requirements and procedures better.
- Complete all the steps in the name change process meticulously in India, ensuring that all documents are duly filled, signed, and submitted as per the prescribed guidelines of India state.
- Keep copies of all the documents submitted for future reference. It is advisable to maintain both physical and digital copies in India.
- Be patient throughout the process, as it may take some time for the name change to be reflected in the birth certificate in India. Follow up with the concerned authorities if necessary.
Documents required for Gazette Publication in India for Name Change in Birth Certificate:
- Affidavit Drom India
- An original copy of the newspaper in which name change advertisement or notification is given.
- Two witnesses, including their full name, address, phone number From India
- Soft copy of the application in MS word format.
- A certificate in which the applicant declares that the contents included in both soft copy and hard copy are similar. The applicant should duly sign the certificate from India.
- self-attested passport size photos.
- ID proof such as Aadhaar card, passport, voter identity card, pan card, license) from India.
- Fees payment
Wait until notification is published in the gazette of India. It may take upto few weeks or months.
Submit the name change deed to appropriate government authorities in India.
After publishing in a government official gazette, one can use the name change deed to change their names in various government documents.
They should submit the deed to the government authorities to change their names.
*To be noted
The name change process varies from state to state .
Document Required For Name Change in Birth Certificate in India:
- Affidavit(to be prepared by oneself) from India
- Id proof like Aadhar card, license, passport sdhould be from India
- Nativity certificate From India
- Real copy of Newspaper notification from India Newspapers and Gazette notification of Central Government or India state Government.
- Soft copy of the affidavit from India
- Marriage certificate/divorce certificate.
Process of Name Change of Minor in India
Name change process for minors in India is also same as of adults but the signature and supporting documents of parents or legal guardian is required
*It’s recommended to consult a legal lawyer in India before the name change process or Consulatnat like yourdoorstep.
Step 1: Gather Required Documents for Minor name change in birth Certificate in India. like old birth certificate, Aadhaar, School id from India.
Step 2: Prepare an affidavit from India confirming the child old name and new name.
Step 3: Publish a notification in Newspaper in India confirming child old name and new name.
Step 5: Verification and Approval For name Change in Birth Certificateof Minor in India
Step 6: Issuance of Updated Birth Certificate of Minor
Step 7: You finally get a gazette
Benefits of name Change in Birth Certificate in India:
- One can change the name in all the government documents using this single name change deed
- No need of multiple visits to various government offices
- No future problems will be raised because of official notification in government gazette
- Horoscope and numerology beliefs may be fulfilled
- One can change their desired or liked name
- Even Though a tough process it will simply further process of name change in other legal documents
Change Name On Your Birth Certificate After Marriage in India
In India, after marriage women will add their husband’s name along with their name. So they need to change their name in the government documents too.
Changing the name after marriage is also the same process as an adult name changing process with minor modifications.
- The first step is to obtain a marriage certificate. The marriage certificate will be provided by the Municipal registrar.
- Make Affidavit with the reason for name change.
- Publicize notification in two newspapers
- Publication of a name change notification in the Indian Gazette
- You can apply for a name change deed
- You can use this to change the name on all government documents
Common Mistakes to Avoid During Name Change Process in India
- Make sure all the required documents are available in time
- Make sure that you know the process
- Don’t fail to notify the appropriate authorities
- Update all the government documents
- Don’t fail to update the educational documents
- Don’t fail to notify the family members and friends
- Don’t fail to update the online accounts and bank accounts
- Don’t try to change the name again.As already known, name change is difficult and time consuming. So one should avoid mistakes in changing the name.
- If all the government documents are updated with a new name, again reverting it to the old name is a tedious process
Name change in Property and legal documents in India
Property documents like house, land, apartment, it is important to update your changed name on the relevant property documents.
- Initial step is affidavit of name Change” or a “Deed of Change of Name,” which states your old and new names and provides evidence of the name change. This document should be registered with the appropriate authorities, such as the Sub-Registrar’s Office or the local land records office, to ensure the change is legally recognized.
- The title deed is a legal document of ownership of the property. To update your name on the title deed, prepare a “Deed of Change of Name” and execute it before a registrar or sub-registrar.
Name change in bank and financial institutions in India
- Visit the bank and get the name change form
- Fill the form and provide all the appropriate documents that is evidence for name change like updated Aadhar card, name change deed and others
- Get sign from the manger
- Processing of the documents
- Name will be updated in few days
Reverting the name to an old name in India:
One has to go through the name change process again which would involve the affidavit, newspaper publication and then gazette notification to retain the old name.
As already known, name change is difficult and time consuming. So one should avoid mistakes in changing the name.
If all the government documents are updated with a new name, again reverting it to the old name is a tedious process.
Change your Name Online in Birth Certificate in India
If you don’t want to go anywhere you can change your name online by taking help from yourdoorstep. They will do everything for you.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it necessary to change the name on a birth certificate in India. If its written wrong somewhere?
Yes, it is advisable to update the name on your birth certificate to ensure legal authenticity and avoid complications in various official procedures.
How can I legally change my name in birth certificate in India?
In India, anyone can change their name by filing an affidavit and publishing a notification in two newspapers and the official gazette. After that, you need to obtain a name change deed. You can use this deed to change your name in government documents.
Is there an age limit for changing one’s name in India?
No such age limit is in India. But name change for minors requires consent from parents or guardians
Can I change my name multiple times on the birth certificate in India?
Generally, changing the name on a birth certificate is a one-time process. It is essential to carefully consider the desired name before initiating the change.
How long does the name change process take in India?
The duration of the process in India. Can vary depending on the workload and procedures followed by the concerned authorities. It may take several weeks to a few months for the name change to be reflected in the birth certificate
Which authority is responsible for approving name change applications in India?
There is no specific authority for name change. It depends upon the cases.
Majority of cases, the district magistrate plays an important role.
In case of name change after marriage, the marriage register plays an important role.Notary public, gazette officer, government press also plays an important role.
Can I change my name on the birth certificate without publishing it in newspapers in India?
Newspaper publication is a mandatory in India. It is a step in the name change process in India as it serves as a public notice. However, specific exceptions may apply in certain cases, such as for minors or individuals with valid reasons for maintaining privacy.
What if someone objects to the name change during the newspaper publication in India?
If someone raises objections during the newspaper publication, the concerned authorities will investigate the matter. The decision regarding the name change will be based on the evidence and legal provisions
How long does the minor name change process typically take in India?
It is usually quite a lengthy process. A number of factors need to be considered, including the preparation of the required documents, the processing by government officials, and the time required for publication.
Can I change my child’s name without their consent in India?
No, doing anything without the consent is not correct.
Parents can change the name of the child without his/her consent only if he/she is not in the age to recognise the name.
Will changing my name affect my existing legal documents and identification in India?
Yes, changing your name can have an impact on your existing legal documents and identification
How can I change my name after getting married in India?
You must first visit the Municipal Registrar. You must then publish a Gazette notice about your name change. Your name will be officially changed after Gazette notification.
To Conclude Name Change in Birth Certificate in India.
Name change in Birth Certificate is very difficult and tedious process, so one should take utmost care in updating and changing the name. Your can hire consultant like yourdoorstep to make the process stress free. Still if you want to do the process yourself then focus on the below point in India.
Changing the name on a birth certificate in India involves following a specific legal procedure, ensuring that the updated certificate reflects accurate information. By gathering the necessary documents, creating an affidavit, publishing the name change in newspapers and the Official Gazette, and submitting the application to the Municipal Corporation, individuals can successfully change their names on their birth certificates.
Having a correctly updated birth certificate in india is crucial for establishing legal identity, educational pursuits, employment opportunities, and other important aspects of life. By understanding the process and following the tips provided, individuals can navigate the name change process smoothly and efficiently.