Surname Change in India is not an easy process, as it involves many steps that can easily confuse anyone. But don’t worry, YourDoorStep is here to provide the best surname change solution, whether it is name correction or something else. You can avail of our Affidavit for the surname Change process for all your name-related problems.
In India, changing a surname is entirely a legal process, and there are plenty of reasons why the name change is necessary.
Reasons for Surname Change in India
- Religion Change
- Dissatisfaction with name
- Marriage of Widow
- Numerology Reasons
- Astrology Reasons
- Wrong Name in Official Record
- Marriage After Divorce
- Child Adoption
- Spelling Errors
- Gender Change
Documents Necessary for Surname Change Process
The procedure can be done for both Adults and Minors, however, different documents are required in each case:-
- ID Proof: Driving Licence or Passport or Voter ID or Aadhaar Card or Pan Card or Ration Card
- Address Proof: Electricity Bill or Aadhaar Card or Ration Card
- Photo: One Passport Size Photo
- Application Form: Duly Signed Application Form with all details including the Old & New Name, Correspondence address, Contact Details & reason for a Name change
- Marriage certificate (if available, for Females after Marriage)
- Divorce Decree issued by Court (In-case of Divorce)
- Adoption Deed issued by Court (In-case of Adoption)
- ID Proof: School ID card or Aadhaar card
- Address Proof: Aadhaar Card
- Age Proof: Birth Certificate of the Minor
- Photo: One Passport Size Photo
- Application Form: Duly Signed by Minor if possible, and Parent or Guardians
Note: As the entire process takes place online, all the documents are needed to be in JPEG format.
Simple 3-Step Procedure for Surname Change
Step 1- Affidavit for Surname Change
If you want to change your surname, firstly, you need to make an affidavit for Surname Change in the local Notary. It must contain your Old surname and the New surname and must also mention the reason along with applicant details such as your Husband’s/Father’s name, Address, Age Proof, etc.
Step 2- Publication in Newspaper
Once you complete the above step, the next step, Publication in Newspaper, comes into play.
You need to Publish news of your Surname Change as an Advertisement in two local newspapers, i.e. one in the Regional Language\Hindi and another one in an English newspaper.
Some Important points to include in the Newspaper Publication:-
- New Name of Applicant
- Old Name of Applicant
- Full Address of Applicant
- Age of Applicant
- Notary Name who attested the affidavit
- Father’s/Husband Name of Applicant
Before you give the advertisement in a newspaper, always perform a cross-check of the advertisement to see if all the details mentioned are correct or not. A minor mistake can ruin your complete process.
Step 3- Publishing of Surname Change in the Official Gazette of India
Now you have to Publish the Notification in the Gazette of India by writing the Application along with a DD of fee and required documents.
Now you have to send the following documents to the Department of Publication:-
- Surname Change Affidavit, which has to be Duly Notarized (Hard Copy)
- If You live abroad, then you must submit the deed, which has to be duly attested by the respective Indian Embassy/Indian High Commission Only.
- Newspaper Publication (Hard Copy)
- Hard Copy of the Surname Change form, which must be duly filled as per the given Format
- Make a digital CD. “Soft Copy of Specimen in a Compact Disc (CD)”
- Government employees are required to submit the Deed in accordance with the Ministry of Home Affairs 0. M. No. 190016/1/87-Estt. dated 12/03/1987
- A Demand Draft of Rs. 1100/- (for major) and Rs. 1700/- (for Minor) drawn in favour of Controller of Publications, Delhi
- Two Passport Size Photographs self-attested
- One Self Attested Photo ID Proof
- A Certificate must be signed by the Applicant informing/stating that the information in the Hard and Soft copy is the same.
- Application/Forwarding Letter describing all the Documents enclosed within the envelope
Why Choose YourDoorStep for Surname Change In India
Here are some of the reasons to choose us for your Surname Change in India
Simple and Easy Service Booking Process
Need a service? All you have to do is either fill the form available on each service page or directly contact us on the given contact numbers and simply name the service you require. After a few basic questions, our team will assign a professional to carry out the demanded service.
Compared to other service providers in the market, our services are much faster and more reliable. We are not the ones saying that; these are the words of our permanent customers.
We have structured our services in such a way that we are able to provide them to our customers at very attractive prices. Hence, getting a service done by a professional at your home or office isn’t going to be any different than regular services.
Quick Response and Resolution
As soon as we receive the information about the problem, we immediately assign a professional to visit your location. Also, the professionals are trained so they can immediately recognize the issue and provide a solution for the same.
Process to avail of Surname Change Service
We make all our services simple and easy to use by keeping our customers in mind. This helps us achieve a high customer satisfaction rate. Follow the steps given below:-
- Contact us on the given numbers or fill out the contact form given above.
- Tell us the are you want to avail of our service.
- Mention your name and phone number to make it easy to connect.
That’s it. Soon an agent will connect to you for carrying out the service.
Is the Surname Change process entirely legal?
Yes, It is entirely possible to change your surname in India, and the process is completely legal.
What are the documents required for the Surname change process?
The list of documents is given above. However, if you are still confused, you can contact our team for support.
Is an affidavit necessary for a surname change?
Yes, the affidavit is absolutely necessary for surname change as it contains many crucial information which is necessary for the process of name change.
Is it possible to change the surname of the minors?
Yes, in India, it is possible to change the surname of minors.
What are some of the reasons for surname change?
Some of the primary reasons are Marriage, Divorce, Dissatisfaction, Vastu, etc.
I need support regarding the process. How can I contact the support team?
You can mail us your issues directly at firstname.lastname@example.org